It shook me from within. The same should happen to you. Three news of deaths of close ones in a row! But I was not shocked by the fact that they left the dunya, I was left in shock to recall my past and see what good I have done to prepare for this journey that they have just embarked on. May Allah have mercy on the souls that have departed, and will never get a second chance to come back, ameen.
My dear sisters and brothers, every single day you get in your life, how to perceive it? Do you take it as a gift from Allah that you need to make the most of it, or do you take it for granted and put it into waste? This day can be the last day you live on this temporary world. This day can be the beginning of a new journey; journey to the hereafter. What have you then prepared? Are you ready to meet your Lord?
If all the death news around have not shaken you and pulled you down to earth with tears shedding from your eyes, then know that your heart has hardened and you are surely in danger if you are not trying to come out of this situation you have put yourself in.
There maybe no tomorrow, hence my dear sisters and brothers, strive to soften your hearts today, and turn to Allah before you return to Him.
Just a few actions you can make sure you are regularly doing, so that you can hope to have Allah’s Mercy on you when you become the departed soul and everyone else updates their facebook status about your death!
- Observe the incidents around you with a keen heart and strive to derive lessons from them. This will inshaAllah help you bring life back to your heart.
- Seek knowledge of the deen and especially about the vastness of the hereafter and the details of it as found in the Quran and Sunnah so that you are able to focus on it with laser focus.
- Treat each day as your last day.
- Recall your sins, your shortcomings and Allah’s vast Mercy. Seek sincere forgiveness and repent, with yourself desperately broken down to Allah.
- Make du’a to Allah to protect you from His Anger and Punishment.
- Have hope in Him.
- Remember your death often and strive to do as much good deeds as possible.
- Do not waste time. Life is too short to be wasted on unnecessary things. Hereafter is too precious to be lost from hands.
Al-Teebi (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Time is like the capital of a businessman, and it should be invested in such a way as to make a profit. The greater the capital, the greater the profit. Whoever benefits from his life by doing good deeds will succeed and prosper, but whoever wastes his capital and does not prosper will evidently lose out.
My dear sisters and brothers, the life of the hereafter is what your concern should be. This world is just a means to beautify the afterlife. Hence, leave all the regrets of the ‘Have-Nots’ in life, be grateful and strive to prepare a beautiful eternal tomorrow.
Let’s wake up before we are awakened to the reality of our lives, the hereafter!
Faria Alam is a young aspiring student who seeks to help young females educate themselves. She is a freelance writer and loves to read books of different disciplines. She takes great interest in personal development.